Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Little Bealings Admiral's Head
Little Bealings Admiral's Head
also traded as Admiral Vernon's Head
closed 20th July 2012
opened about 1748
Sandy Rd (The St), IP13 6LW
grid reference TM 229 479
This split level pub was popular with diners and was located on the Fynn Valley walk, with two historic wells.
There's been a pub on this site since 1748, although the present building is much more recent.
It closed due to problem with the pub's drainage system in July 2012, following a nearby new building development. The current owners and last landlords (for 8 1/2 years) have converted the pub to their own residential usage.
A campaign group has been set up in the village to try to get the pub reopened, possibly by purchasing it if it comes on the market. See http://friendsoftheadmiralshead.org.uk.
Update: we noticed in June 2019 that the building is now up for sale…
To be sold or lett, the Admiral Vernon's Head, a very good new built House, pleasantly situated, in Little Bealings - with a good Brewhouse, Stabling for about nine Horses, a Garden well planted with Fruit-Trees, and a Malting-Office twenty combs steep, with a Floor and Kiln answerable. Enquire of Mr Abraham Gooding at the House aforesaid or (amongst others) Mr Nathaniel Alderson, at the Angel on the Common Key, Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, July 30th 1748***
(The Inn was re-advertised in Feb 1749)
According to the 1904 Woodbridge licensing records, the Admiral's Head's license was issued in 1803.
A report in the Ipswich Journal, August 15th 1801** makes reference to the sale of The ADMIRALS HEAD Inn, in Little Bealings.…
This pub was originally named after Admiral Vernon an 18th cent. hero who captured Porto Bello in Panama in 1739 (from the Spaniards) with just 6 ships. Later he was MP for Ipswich and lived in Nacton. Later it was attributed to Admiral Lord Nelson, the early 19th cent national hero, who once bought a property in Ipswich - called Roundwood House - although he never lived there. Nelson is also commemorated in the most recent pub signage.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.