The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 229 479Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 16/06/2019
Little Bealings Admiral's Head
also traded as as: Admiral Vernon's Headhistorical era: 21st century
opened about 1748
closed July 20th, 2012
Sandy Rd (The St), IP13 6LW
This split level pub was popular with diners and was located on the Fynn Valley walk, with two historic wells.
There's been a pub on this site since 1748, although the present building is much more recent.
It closed due to problem with the pub's drainage system in July 2012, following a nearby new building development. The current owners and last landlords (for 8 1/2 years) have converted the pub to their own residential usage.
A campaign group has been set up in the village to try to get the pub reopened, possibly by purchasing it if it comes on the market. See http://www.admiralshead.com/.
Update: we noticed in June 2019 that the building is now up for sale. As the sale is being handled by Fleurets, this suggests it may be being marketed as a pub, so perhaps the villagers may get a chance to reopen it?
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
This pub was originally named after Admiral Vernon an 18th cent. hero who captured Porto Bello in Panama in 1739 (from the Spaniards) with just 6 ships. Later he was MP for Ipswich and lived in Nacton. Later it was attributed to Admiral Lord Nelson, the early 19th cent national hero, who once bought a property in Ipswich - called Roundwood House - although he never lived there. Nelson is also commemorated in the most recent pub signage.