Ufford White Lion
Ufford White Lion
Real Ale is sold here.
Lower St, IP13 6DW
grid reference TM 298 520
bar / diner, opened early 17th century
This unspoilt, 17th century house is sited near to the River Deben and is popular with walkers. The owners pride themselves on their fresh, home-cooked fare, which is invariably locally sourced. It's child friendly.
Beers are served direct from the cask.
The pub has a calendar full of events throughout the year, many of them taking place upon the adjacent meadow.
A new micrcobrewery (Uffa Brewery) was installed in 2011, with production starting late May of that year.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
Railway station about 2.0 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
The earliest known written reference* to "The White Lyon" is from 1618, when it was sold by Francis Ballett (whose father has a skeleton brass in nearby St Mary's Church) for the princely sum of £180.
Historically it has been listed as the Lion hotel (in 1912 & 1922).
Died on the 19th December 1825, aged 71, Mr James Riches of the Lion Inn, Ufford.Ipswich Journal, December 1825**
In the April/May 1982 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that landlord Mr Chilvers had died and also that Mrs Chilvers would stay at the pub for next 12 months.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(* from pub website)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)