also traded as Queens Head Inn
Property to let
151 High St, NR32 1HR
grid reference TM 551 938
Closed for some time. Nicely furnished, large town centre hotel bar. The former Scotts Brewery was once located in some out-buildings to rear of site.
The Crown finally closed in April 2009 after a short period of trading following a six months of closure during the second half of 2008. The building has been on the market for some time, apparently with no interest in it.
It was a nicely furnished, large, town centre hotel bar. The former Scotts Brewery was once located in some out-buildings to the rear of the site (1988-1999).
It was built in the 17th century and substantially altered in the mid 19th.
The hotel is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Scrivener Capon at the Crown Inn, Lowestoft, advertising his Bathing Machine.Ipswich Journal, June 3rd 1769 & 16 May 1772***
Crown inn Lowestoft – May 13 1783 – S. Capons Bathing Machines are ready for the reception of company. He shall think himself very much obliged to those who chose to honour him and returns thanks for all past favours. Mr Capon will provide private lodgings for anyone who chooses to apply to him.Ipswich Journal, 17 May 1783
Crown Inn, Lowestoft, Robert Hogg respectfully informs the ladies and gentlemen in Lowestoft and its environs, there will be a Ball, at the above Inn on Tuesday the 11th September. Tickets 5s each, tea and coffee included.advertisement in the Ipswich Journal, September 1810**
It's a one-time posting House.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.