closed August 1999
The Street, IP12 3LH
grid reference TM 376 470
Now residential, the Bell had a reputation as a smugglers' pub.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Bell's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
A Victorian brewery was at this pub.
The pub is shown here on an old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
To be sold by private contract that old established inn called the Bell at Boyton, now in full trade; it has 2 front parlours, backroom, kitchen, bar, backhouse, and good cellars, and convenient sleeping rooms; together with carpenter's and wheelwright's shop, saw house, stable, and large garden, all in excellent repair, The proprietor's leaving the Bell is owing to his wife's ill health. For price and further particulars apply to Mr James Clouting, upon the premises.Ipswich Journal, April 1830**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.