In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
Some of them may well still be offering a takeaway beer service and some others will also be selling food takeaways, perhaps even with delivery. If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Needham Market Limes
Needham Market Limes
formerly Bull, Boule House
Real Ale is sold here.
99 High St, IP6 8DQ
grid reference TM 087 551
hotel, opened 1955
Recently reopened with a new restaurant menu also available.
There is a bar called Bugs Bar at the left-hand side of the hotel.
Meal deals are available on a daily basis. This establishment is family-oriented with a lively bar.
It was once a calling house for pilgrims on their way to Bury St Edmunds and was previously called the Bull Inn; it is believed to have once been named Boule House. The original name may have derived from John Bull who owned e pub in 1566 or from monastic seals i.e. a reference to a lead seal attached to a papal edict. Alternatively, bull baiting was also a popular local "sport" and may have once been practised nearby at about that time.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
Railway station about 0.3 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The Limes was open by 1537 as the Bull, which was then owned by Robert Hill. It was subsequently owned by Thomas Sorrell (from 1545), Edward Utting (from 1553), John Wood (from 1556), Roger Bull (from 1607) and John Bull (from 1654). John Steward of the Ipswich Great White Horse owned the pub from 1711, Mary Stewart after 1726 and Susan Stewart from 1737.
The original name may have derived from John Bull who owned the pub in 1566, or from monastic seals, ie a reference to a lead seal attached to a papal edict. Alternatively, bull baiting was also a popular local sport and may have once been practised nearby at about that time.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)