formerly Queen's Head, King's Head
Pub has reopened.
Real Ale is sold here.
The St, IP13 7AD
grid reference TM 249 606
The timber lined interior has been extensively refurbished to a high standard. ⅓ pint option is also available.
The pub has a good reputation for food.
Closed Tuesdays in winter months
Renamed in early 2016.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, the Queen's Head was originally built about 1447, but the current building dates from 1956 after it had to be rebuilt following a fire.
In Richard Cobbold's 1845 novel The History of Margaret Catchpole, which is loosely based on Catchpole's life, he relates an episode where after meeting her in Brandiston(sic), Margaret's lover Will Laund says, "[...] I shall just go into the King's Head, refresh myself, and start again for the coast by daylight"…
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Camping or caravan site nearby
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Separate bar
- Smoking area
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Samuel Bedwell, of Brandeston, innkeeper, was fined 5s and costs 7s 6d for keeping open his house there (The Queen's Head) for the sale of beer during the hours of divine service on Sunday the 29th March 1860.Ipswich Journal, March 1860**
In the June/July 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that a campaign was in progress to save the outdoor gents toilet - a 400 year old annexe to the main pub building - which had resulted in a local signed petition (which was still hanging in the modern indoor toilet in 2011)…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)