The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 249 606
bar / diner
(details under review)
Data from the Food Standards Agency live feed.
Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
- Tue-Thu: 1200-1500
- Fri-Sat: 1200-1500, 1700-2300
- Sun: 1200-1800
This pub regularly serves 2 guest beers
Local licensing authority for Brandeston is East Suffolk
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 28/10/2019
previously known as: Queen's Head, King's Head
Real Ale is available here
The Street, IP13 7AD
The timber lined interior has been extensively refurbished to a high standard. ? pint option also available. The pub has a good reputation for food
Renamed in early 2016.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, the Queen's Head was originally built about 1447, but the current building dates from 1956 after it had to be rebuilt following a fire.
In Richard Cobbold's 1845 novel The History of Margaret Catchpole, which is loosely based on Catchpole's life, he relates an episode where after meeting her in Brandiston(sic), Margaret's lover Will Laund says, "[...] I shall just go into the King's Head, refresh myself, and start again for the coast by daylight". Since Cobbold seems reliable when talking about pubs, we can be reasonably confident this was a genuine old name and not an error.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)