Pin Mill Butt & Oyster
Pin Mill Butt & Oyster
South West, 51.99642,1.21266
Real Ale is sold here.
Pin Mill Rd, IP9 1JW
grid reference TM 206 379
bar / diner, opened about 1500
owner/operator: Adnams / Deben Inns
A traditional pub in a tiny hamlet on the bank of River Orwell, with three separate rooms and a connecting corridor with flag-stoned floors (in part). This famous pub retains some high backed settles and a large open fire in main bar area making it very cosy on cold winter days. The pub has a toilet for disabled customers.
It was first recorded as public house in 1553, though it may be older. (The Listed Buildings Register says the building's 17th century so presumably there was an earlier building?)
Often very busy in Summer and at weekends, it has long been renowned for a traditional food menu with a number of fish dishes.
The pub has featured in films and once in TV's Lovejoy (as 'The Three Ducks'!)
One of only eight Suffolk pubs which appeared in the first (1972) edition of CAMRA's Good Beer Guide, when it sold Tolly Cobbold Bitter & Mild, as well as Worthington - all direct from the cask. It was then described as "very widely recommended".
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available: Free access
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
large number of friends and relatives were at Chelmondiston church to witness the funeral of Henry A Curtis only son of Mr Curtis the landlord of the Butt and Oyster, Pin Mill.Ipswich Journal, November 10th 1894** (when Mr H Curtis was the landlord)
The building dates from 17th century and was extended in the 19th & early 20th centuries. Its little-altered interior is as a result of being run by the Watts family from 1933 to 1988. The red tiled public bar with its two high backed settles is especially attractive and has great views of the river from its bay window…
A butt was a large wine cask. Oysters could often be packed in wooden casks for transportation and were extensively harvested along the river Orwell in bygone times.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)