also traded as Horseshoes, Three Horse-Shoes
North West, 52.00794,0.98573
The St, IP7 5LW
grid reference TM 050 385
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Reported as closed in Last Orders*** in Jan 1981 after Tolly Cobbold had closed it at end of September 1980 as a tied house. They subsequently sold it with a license and it traded as a free house for some years until its final closure in 1997.
To be sold, an ancient and well accustom'd Publick-House, known by the Name of the Three Horse-Shoes, in Roydon, near Hadleigh with an Orchard, well planted with Fruit, and a small Piece of Hop-Land thereunto adjoining, being all Freehold, at the Yearly Rent of £6 10s. Enquire of James Hill, at the Crown and Chequer, on St Margaret's Green. Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, May 7th 1748***
To be lett, the Three Horse-Shoes, in Redon, an old accustom'd Alehouse, within three miles of Hadleigh, in the road to Manningtree…
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.