Southwold Harbour Inn
Southwold Harbour Inn
formerly Harbour of Refuge, Ship, Fishing Buss
Real Ale is sold here.
Black Shore, IP18 6TA
grid reference TM 496 755
This riverside pub is about a mile south of the town centre. Its location means that flooding can be an issue in winter months. A mark on the wall shows the level reached by flood waters in 1953. The split level interior is often dominated by diners during busy periods & a separate restaurant extension has helped to make the venue even more popular during weekends. Nearby, a foot ferry & footbridge provide access to Walberswick.
A large caravan and camp site located nearby is popular during the summer months.
The present building is thought to date from 1840, when the pub was rebuilt.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area: terrace in front and rear + large garden
- Dogs welcome: Well-behaved dogs are welcome in the bars
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Function room available to hire
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
The pub is listed as the Fishing Buss at Blackshore Quay between 1823 and 1874. It's also listed as the Harbour of Refuge in Black Lane between 1891 and 1900.
The late Jock Peasant ran this pub in the 1950s, with his wife, Bobbie. It has also been called the Harbour of Refuge, the Ship, the Fishing Buss and the Half-and-Halfer, after a type of fishing boat where the proceeds were shared between owner & crew…
A buss was a type of sea-going fishing vessel, typically used by Dutch herring fishermen in the 15th to early 19th centuries.
A Half-and-Halfer, was a type of fishing boat where the proceeds were shared between owner & crew.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Reference to pub seen in Southwold Diary of James Maggs (1818-1876) published by Suffolk Records Society in 2007)