Stonham Parva Magpie
Stonham Parva Magpie
formerly Pie Inn
Real Ale is sold here.
Norwich Road, IP14 5JY
grid reference TM 119 604
bar / diner, opened Pre-1471
Now offering food and drinks from a refurbished bar, the Magpie also has a separate room for playing traditional pub games.
The pub has an unusual (Grade II Listed) sign which spans the road. The building dates from the 15th century, with 16th and 19th century additions and is also Grade II Listed.
Within living memory, a live magpie was confined within a cage on the pub's wall as a living pub-sign.
It was apparently flourishing in 1471 and then or some time afterwards was owned by the local parson, who let it to a tenant together with 14 acres of land for 20 shillings per annum. In due course the parish owned the property, but in 1931 it was bought by the present owners, Messrs Tollemache & Cobbold, the Ipswich brewers. The money paid was used to meet the cost of providing a piped water supply to the village.British Inn Signs and their Stories, Eric R Delderfield, 1965
According to Alfred Hedges' 1976 book "Inns an Inn Signs of Norfolk and Suffolk", this is one of only a dozen remaining pubs in the country with a sign spanning the road. So probably fewer today...
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
Railway station about 4.9 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
A historic Inn, post office and posting house. It's shown on the 1904 OS map as "Stonham Pie Inn".
The pub may also be listed on Turnpike Road.
Nathaniel Studd hath newly fitted up, and genteelly furnished his House, the Pye Inn at Little Stonham.Ipswich Journal, October 27th 1764***
To be let and entered upon immediately the Pye, Stonham, the old established INN and premises, well situated for the posting business, between Scole, Inn, Ipswich and Copdock, with about 3 acres of arable land…
The name may refer to an ancient meaning for the word magpie, "a half pint".
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)