27 Ipswich St
grid reference TM 049 585
Now subdivided into several shops and a wine-bar, the Fox dates from the 17th century, with frequent alterations since.
It was historically a family & commercial hotel and posting house.
The hotel is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
An Inn called the Fox is mentioned in fire insurance records dating from 1775.
About 50 persons sat down to the Stowmarket Supper, held at the Fox Hotel, in January 1875. The very excellent dinner was presided over by Captain H A Oakes, churchwarden, and provided by the hosts Mr and Mrs Bridges.Ipswich Journal, January 1875**
The Stowmarket Choir annual dinner was held at the Fox Hotel, in January 1895, where about 30 persons sat down to an excellent repast served by their host Garrard, after which a very pleasant evening was spent in toast and song.Ipswich Journal, January 1895**
For most of the 19th Century it was owned by just two families, first the Lockwoods and then the Bridge family. By 1897 was owned by the Tollemache Brewery…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.