app

Stowmarket Railway Tavern

Stowmarket Railway Tavern

also traded as Railway Hotel & Refreshment rooms

closed August 1978

opened 1847

Stowupland St

grid reference TM 051 588

The pub is now a children's centre.

It may also be listed in Albion Street and Stowupland due to road and boundary changes. It's also listed in Station Road (in 1912 & 1922).

The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

Stowmarket station opened in Dec 1846 with the first train from Ipswich, Colchester and London arriving on 27th Dec before heading to Bury St Edmunds. The station building, designed by Frederick Barnes was not completed until 1849.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(**** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X