Stowmarket Royal William
Stowmarket Royal William
Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.
Pub has reopened.
Real Ale is sold here.
53 Union St East, IP14 1HP
grid reference TM 049 589
opened about 1837
A rare example of a back-street pub that is a former beer house and has only had a full license since 1962.
Tucked away, but located quite close to the nearby railway station with its magnificent early Victorian façade.
All beer is served on gravity from a small temperature controlled room behind the bar. Up to twelve beers are available, see slates hanging over bar. Also up to ten ciders are available during the summer months (ask for more details).
Hot and cold snacks are always available. The pub has two darts teams and a cribbage team.
Friendly locals and good conversation are the order of the day. Treasure it, there are few left like it.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Cider (real draught, not keg) available: summer only
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals: Snacks, pork pies etc
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks): Snacks, pork pies etc
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Separate bar
- Sport TV
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Railway station about 0.2 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub may also be listed historically at Bonds Lane.
At the auction of the Stowmarket Brewery, in October 1865, nine properties belonging to the brewery were sold in separate Lots. Lot 6, the Royal William, Stowmarket, freehold, was knocked down, at £280, to Messrs. Phillips Brothers.Ipswich Journal, October 1865**
The pub was owned by Alexander Clutterbuck, of Stowmarket Brewery from 1874 to 1882. It then passed to Edward Green from 1882 to 1887 and after that by Greene King.
According to the Stow licensing records, the pub got its full license on May 2nd 1962.
It's listed in Catts Lane from 1844 to 1881 and in Bond Street in 1891.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)