Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Real Ale is sold here.
Church Rd, IP14 4BQ
grid reference TM 070 599
An attractive thatched 14th century building which has been a pub since the 18th century.
It was extensively renovated by the new owners in 2015 and offers a comprehensive menu. There's also a children's play area.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Restaurant or separate dining area
Railway station about 1.5 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
The pub was sold, in part, by John Aldrich (an Ipswich merchant) to John Cobbold in 1805.
On the 2nd November 1825 an inquest was held on the body of Benjamin Batley, landlord of the Crown Inn, Stowupland. On the 31st of October he had gone to the house of William Baker, a carrier at Stowupland, to collect 2 parcels. He went into the house to pay, apparently in good health, sat down and in less than 2 minutes was seized by a fit and instantly expired. The verdict was to that effect.Ipswich Journal, November 1825**
By 1834 John Cobbold's brewery had sole ownership of the premises.
An appeal against a conviction for keeping his house open on a Sunday 27th Nov 1842 during Divine Service…
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)