also traded as Anchor Hotel
last owner/operator: Enterprise
2 Friars St, CO10 2AA
grid reference TL 873 412
It's shown as an un-named hotel on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
A lively town centre pub which was, at the time it closed, the oldest remaining pub in town, dating from the 16th or 17th century (it may have been part of the adjacent White Hart at some point). It had 3 letting rooms. Shakespeare once played at the pub.
It has now been converted to retail use, having been boarded up and empty for some time.
Part of the building was damaged in the serious fire which engulfed several adjacent buildings (destroying the former White Hart) in September 2015.
To be lett, an ancient and well accustom'd Inn, situate near the Market-Place in Sudbury and called by the Name of the Anchor, and in the Occupation of William CoppinIpswich Journal, July 18th 1747***
A good Billiard Table, with Sticks and Balls, at a very reasonable Price at the Anchor in Sudbury…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.