Sudbury Lady Elizabeth
Sudbury Lady Elizabeth
formerly Bull Inn, Black Boy
Real Ale is sold here.
7 Market Hill, CO10 2EA
grid reference TL 873 413
opened 18th century
owner/operator: Greene King
Historic building that has recently been refurbished and changes made to make the most of what the pub has to offer, such as extending the bar so that it can now cater for the seven real ales and craft ciders that will be on draught.
The pub still has a traditional inn feel.
“With two log burners we plan on keeping you warm and cosy for the rest of the winter. Sink in to a sofa, sample some ale, have a glass of wine or a great cup of coffee and sample some of our traditional pub fayre.”
A real ale loyalty card is being launched that will take 40p a pint off the full retail price on a Wednesday all day for anyone to join. Camra members can have a 20p per pint discount off the full retail price on real ales at all times on production of a membership card.…
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Bull baiting was formerly held in what's now the car park area to the rear of the building.
The name may be linked to the Dassel family who lived next door and used to employ black boys from their West Indian sugar plantations as servants.
Auction sale of The Black Boy, Sudbury, by order of the Proprietor, Mr W.PETTIT, who has taken another concern.Ipswich Journal, November 24th 1824***
Free Inn, Sudbury Auction, under the Will of the late Mr William BASS...containing bar, tap room, coffee-room, parlour, kitchen, back kitchen, pantry & buttery, 2 beer cellars, wine cellar & spirit cellar...accommodation for 50 horses, detached offices, knife house, pump house, Brew House, coal cellar...in the occupation of Mr James BALLS, w…
Although such signs of a black boy usually today portray a quaint picture of a sweep in Dickensian costume - in the 17th cent. the fashion for negro servants e.g. pageboys was also quite common for the wealthy.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)