Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
formerly King's Head
Real Ale is sold here.
53 Ballingdon St, CO10 2BZ
grid reference TL 863 406
Reopened in January 2018 as a cyclist and rambler friendly pub after major refurbishment and renaming. Now a free house. There is a secure bike lock-up and a basic toolkit is available if needed (there's also a good bike shop nearby).
They aim to provide a warm, cosy environment and specialise in local ales. Coffee, wine, tea and simple food are also available.
The Cyclist is totally cash-free. So you will need a card to pay for food and drinks. Food Available Monday to Friday lunch time and Sunday lunch.
Beers sold on draught (in rotation) - they currently are from:
Green Jack Brewery
Earl Soham Brewery
Cliff Quay Brewery
The building dates from the early 17th century.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Traditional pub games available
Railway station about 1.0 mile away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The King's Head is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
May also be listed at 33 Ballingdon Street; it has also been listed in Bulmer Road.
February 16th 1825
Mr Pettit the landlord of the King's Head at Sudbury was robbed of a valuable mare on Saturday night by the artifice of three villians, a man called for the hostler to hold his horse while he refreshed himself at the house, while thus employed, two men enterd the house and took the landlord's horse from the stable on which they rode off while the other took his horse from the hostler.Bury & Norwich Post, in 1825*
Died on the 7th August 1855, at the King's Head, Ballingdon, Mr James M Parson, aged 45.Ipswich Journal, August 1855**
The King's Head was found closed and undergoing renovation work when visited in April 20…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(* report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)