grid reference TL 868 411Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Sudbury Spread Eaglehistorical closure era: 21st century
opened 14th century
closed between 1997 and 2006
89 Cross St
The license for Bull hotel (Church st.) was transferred to the Spread Eagle in 1959 (see article in Feb 11 1959 EADT). Before this time the pub may have only had a beer house license.
This pub was listed in the local CAMRA pub guide in 1997, but had gone when our photographer tried to find it in 2006, which is as close as we can get to a closure date.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
The spread eagle was originally a Roman sign and later used by many countries including Austria, Germany, Russia, Spain & France. The sign is also used by many English noble families. Its popularity as an inn sign owes a lot to the fact that it was the device of Catherine of Aragon.