grid reference TM 413 527
Now residential, the pub closed on July 20th 1942 when the entire village was evacuated to allow it to be taken over for military purposes. It wasn't reopened until March 25th 1948, but sadly finally closed its doors in 1991.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, 29 May 1784, to the Chequer in Sudbourne
To be sold by auction under an assignment for the benefit of creditors all the household furniture and effects of Mr Offley Sharman, of the Chequers Inn, Sudbourne; comprising 4 post and other bedsteads, with printed cotton, check, and other hangings, feather beds and bedding, sheets and other linen, mahogany dining tables, elm and other tables, 2 settles, 12 hollow seated elm chairs, 2 elbow ditto, chamber ditto, wainscot bureau and chest with drawers, 8 day clock in wainscot case, corner cupboard, pier glass, mahogany knife tray, table and other knives and forks, china, glass, earthen and stone wares, tin roaster, small copper and irons, copper boiler, kitchen, tea kettle, warming pan, and coal shoot, co…
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
 Woodbridge licensing records.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.