Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Extra services available here during the Covid-19 lockdown:
The pub and its village shop are making up boxes of essential supplies to order, which can be delivered to residents in Aldringham and Thorpeness. These can include fresh vegetables, bread, cheese, ready meals and much more. The phone is only manned from 9am to 12noon during the week.
Real Ale is sold here.
Peace Place, IP16 4NA
grid reference TM 472 598
The pub has a reputation for good food. It has a large garden and accommodation.
There is a toilet accessible to disabled customers.
There's also a village shop on the premises.
The current building replaced another pub (of the same name) that was destroyed by fire in 1996. The modern name of the pub comes from the logo of the local golf club, which appears on the pub sign.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available: 3 rooms
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Village shop or similar facility on-site
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
The original pub building is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Originally the Crown, this (then) beerhouse was first licensed (offsales only) in 1874 to Sarah Girling, who ran it until 1890. On the 12th of March that year the license (by now an on-license) was transferred to Alfred Smith This was the first time the pub was named in the licensing records.
The previous building seems to have been renamed the Dolphin in 1914 as part of the redevelopment of the hamlet into a holiday village. It was destroyed by fire in 1996.
It was originally thought that the Dolphin had been built to replace the Crown, but an old photograph of the latter beerhouse clearly shows it to have been the same building as the original Dolphin.…
A dolphin is seen as a friendly animal that would help ancient mariners by twining itself round the anchor cable in a storm to prevent the anchor dragging. It also features in many coats of arms including the Fishmongers Company and the Company of Watermen. In France from the 14th cent. the eldest son of the king was known as "le dauphin".
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)