formerly Blue Anchor
Please email or call to place an order for collection: email@example.com or 01502 722112.
Collection available Thursday - Sunday 12-7pm
See the pub's website for menus.
Real Ale is sold here.
The St, IP18 6UA
grid reference TM 497 746
Situated in an idyllic coastal village, this bar and hotel caters for holidaymakers and locals alike. It has two cosy alcove areas heated by a fire on both sides with a side room for families and a spacious restaurant serving local produce plus a large garden. The pub is accessible from Southwold via footbridge or ferry. As well as Adnams ales, an extensive range of global bottled beers and craft ales are stocked. Accommodation is available in the main building or in garden chalets.
The current building was built to replace the Blue Anchor (dismantled in 1929 - see the note on the historical tab).
Landlord Mark Dorber runs regular Beer Academy courses and the couple also own the Stratford St Mary Swan.
Smugglers' tunnels have been identified leading to the Anchor.
- Accommodation available
- Beer festivals: occasionally
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Camping or caravan site nearby
- Dogs welcome: on outdoor terraces
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
It isn't entirely clear which building was the Anchor on this old OS map from about 1903, as it would have been the original building which was quite small. (interactive map)
The original Blue Anchor operated from 1830 - 1865. The licensing record shows the license being transferred to the new premises on April 14th 1927. The old building was dismantled and moved down the road, where it was rebuilt (at a cost of £40) as "Anchor Lea" (see the gallery).
In the 1870s, when the inn was called the Blue Anchor, the host was Isaac Crisp. He was an obliging man, for sometimes he allowed gipsies to hire one of his rooms for a merry evening of singing, dancing and drinking. In the 1880s John Veasey was at the Blue Anchor (see Arthur Veasey at the Bell) and William Cleveland ran the Bell…
Blue is a heraldic colour of hope. The spare anchor at sea was often known as the hope anchor. "Anker" can also relate to a measurement of 8.5 gallons.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper & book information from Bob Mitchell)