Walsham le Willows Blue Boar
Walsham le Willows Blue Boar
Whilst we remain closed during the Coronavirus pandemic we are currently offering a takeaway and delivery service, todays menu can be found here.
Thursday – Saturday Takeaway and Delivery Menu
Sunday Takeaway and Delivery Menu
Our Takeaway and Delivery service is available between 6-9pm Thurs-Sat and Roast dinners on a Sunday between 12-4pm, orders for delivery and takeaway will be taken from 5pm (11am Sun) however orders can be placed before this by leaving your order and contact details on the answerphone, you will receive confirmation of your order before 6pm (12pm Sun).
Tel: 01359 259168
Real Ale is sold here.
The St, IP31 3AA
grid reference TM 000 712
A true free house with a fine selection of ales on hand-pump & gravity. A good supporter of local breweries.
The Blue Boar is a historic country Pub set in the beautiful village of Walsham-le-Willows in Suffolk.
It was first recorded as brewing and selling ale in 1360 and is still serving the local area to this very day. The pub boasts traditional exposed beams, open fires and a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
There is an extensive beer garden, children’s play area, and bouncy castle ensuring little ones are entertained while the adults can enjoy the selection of local real ales and quality food offering.
St Marys Church is directly next door,
The building dates from the 15th century, with many subsequent alterations. The pub can apparently be traced back as far as 1360.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
- Beer served through handpumps
- Cider (real draught, not keg) available
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Live music
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Traditional pub games available
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
A Public House was first recorded as brewing and selling ale near here in 1360. the current building dates from 1420 and was built as a private house. The first occupant was Alice Pye, an ale-wife (she brewed and sold ale). In 1447 it was granted to John and Alice Bay and became known as Pyes or Bayes. It belonged to Church House manor and John Bay was a member of the court jury as were later tenants of the house; being a large house in a prominent spot it attracted prominent tenants. During much of the 17th century it was the home of Reginald Page who was bailiff of the manor and a churchwarden. In 1817 it was recorded as being a public house named the "Boar" where local auctions were held. …
The blue boar was a heraldic sign for the Earl of Oxford a leading supporter of the Lancastrians who defeated and killed King Richard III at Bosworth in 1495 - Henry Tudor then became Henry VII - Richard's emblem was a white boar forcing some pub signs to be hastily repainted.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)