Hargrave has been a dry Parish since the Bull closed in 1995. It was recorded in Domesday variously as "Haregrave", "Eregrave", "Heregrave" and "Haragrava" and it appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Hargraue".
The parish is scattered around, with hamlets at Bird's End, Hargrave Green and Knowl Green.
The village is classed as "unsustainable" by the local council, which means that no house building is permitted.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Robert Wallis as a beer retailer.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory lists James Wallis as a beer retailer.