This linear village, along the A1101, has two churches; St James and All Saints. The latter is now redundant but has some interesting 14th century tiles.
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Ecclingaham".
Icklingham has been without a pub since the Plough and Red Lion both closed in 2011. Early in 2017, we heard that there are finally plans for the Red Lion to reopen, though not until the summer of 2018.
The 1855 White's Directory lists 2 beer houses run by Fanny Naylor.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, 1 inn holder was recorded in the parish as long ago as 1694.