Believed to have been a substantial cloth centre in the 16th century and recorded in Domesday (along with Great Waldingfield) as "Walingafella" or "Waldingefelda". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Waldingfeilde pua".
The priory was probably owned by the de Vere Priory located at Earls Colne in Essex.
The 1865 Kelly's directory also lists Robert Head as a beer retailer.
The 1916 Kelly's directory also lists Alma Sebastopal Spencer as a beer retailer.
The 1922 Kelly's directory also lists Cecil Bird as a beer retailer.