The settlement is approached from Hadleigh via a minor road. No direct vehicular access is possible from the B1070 at Upper Layham. A watermill dating from 1905 can be found on the course of the river Brett. The 16th century Overbury Hall features in a Constable painting.
The two Layhams were recorded in Domesday variously as "Latham", "Lafham" and "Leiham" and historically may often just be refered to collectively as "Layham".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.