The original settlement and pubs are now by-passed on the northern side. The church stands rather isolated overlooking Martlesham Creek, the mouth of which forms the confluence of rivers Fynn and Deben.
Martlesham was recorded in Domesday as "Merlesham" and on John Speed's 1610 map as "Mertleſham".
Various pleasant walks locally include footpaths long the river walls to Woodbridge (about 2 miles).
Iron Age and Romano-British artefacts found in Martlesham Creek at Sluice Wood are indicative of ancient settlements there.
Nearby Martlesham Heath has become established as a separate settlement.
In 1869 Kelly's Directory, Roger Groom is also listed as a brewer & farmer.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.