Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
A compact settlement centred around the church and pond with a water pump. A former airfield and Metfield Green are just to the south. Wink's Meadow is a Suffolk Wildlife Trust reserve holding a number of rare plants associated with old undisturbed grassland.
The last remaining pub has been closed since August 2009, when it shut with much acrimony reported in the local media. A planning request to redevelop the site was turned down (see the Diss Express). It has since been converted into tea rooms.
Only fragments of Ball's Mill remain. It was destroyed about 1914 after an explosion at a nearby airfield. Goldbold's Mill was a five storey tower mill thought to date from 1839. It was demolished in 1916.
RAF Metfield was operational from Aug 1943 when P47 (Thunderbolt) planes of the USAF 353rd Fighter Group flew from here until April 1944 when they moved to Raydon. After May 1944, B24 planes operated by 491st Bomb Group were here until they moved to North Pickenham in August…
in 1861 census two unnamed beer houses are listed:
In the Street - William Squire/67y/Harnass maker/South Elmham St Cross Red House?
In the Thoroughfare - Charles Poppy/50y/Beerhouse keeper/Metfield Duke William?
The 1874 Wh…
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monument