Swilland was listed in Domesday as "Suinlanda", which means "land where pigs are kept".
The remains of a large post mill (now just a stump) dating from about 1800 and working until 1938, can be found near the junction of High Road and Charity Lane. Although some mill buildings are visible from the road, the remains of the roundhouse cannot.
The line of a Roman road runs along the northern side of the village and is now the B1078.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.