Bradfield Combust

app

Introduction

Formerly called "Bradfield Pava" and appearing on John Speed's 1610 map as "Burnebradfeld", this is the smallest of three Bradfield parishes. Bradfield in general was recorded in Domesday as "Bradefelda".

Legend has it that rioting peasants burnt down a hall belonging to Bury abbey in 1327 hence the fiery new name! Unfortunately, the name was already recorded prior to that incident, so the legend can't actually be true, much as we'd love it to be.

Although doubtful, tales of lost treasure and hidden tunnels persist.

Arthur Young, a famous agricultural writer was born at the hall in 1741 and was later responsible for planting many trees that still grace the parkland today. Also see Stanningfield.

Another notable resident was Judge Branson, who lived at the hall. He was the grandfather of Richard Branson.

Gallery

thumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnail

History

In the 1861 census a brewer is listed: George Finch/55y/Cockfield married to Jemima Finch/55y/Cockfield [?]

Acknowledgements

(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)

X