Wingfield

app

In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.

A number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the Covid-19 lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.

If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.

Introduction

A village with many fine buildings, recorded in Domesday as "Wineberga". The castle was erected in 1384 after the Peasants Revolt. It also marked the arrival of the de la Pole family (Earls and later Dukes of Suffolk). Wingfield College also dates from the 14th century and is linked to the family. The Great Hall now houses a collection of prints and textiles and hosts concerts (open weekends and bank holidays). Michael, First Earl of Suffolk in 1385, had no sooner built the castle, when he was forced to flee to Paris. The second Earl died of fever in Harfleur whilst his eldest son was killed at Agincourt. William, fourth Earl and first Duke of Suffolk, led the English against Joan of Arc, captured Margaret of Anjou at Orleans and then married her to Henry VI. Later appointed Chamberlain and Admiral of England he was then largely responsible for the loss of most of the crown's land in France during a disastrous 3 year period, subsequently imprisoned in the Tower of London and banished for 5 years he was mysteriously killed en-route to Calais and later buried in the village.

Gallery

History

The 1844 White's Directory also lists two beer houses run by Fanny Feavearyear and John Spall.

The 1851 Census also lists Abraham Moss (Thatcher & Beer Shop, pub not named, Head/Married/38/born Trimley) and John Stevenson (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/28/born Aslacton, Norfolk) [King's Head?]

The 1855 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by David Fisk (& tailor).

In 1861 census a beer house nr College has no name with details: John White/50y/Beer house keeper/Denham

The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists Abraham Moss (& thatcher) as a beer retailer.

X