Recorded in Domesday as "Saxham" or "Sexham". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Saxham pua".
A putative Deserted Mediaeval Village has been suggested by finds of mediaeval building materials during pipe-laying on pasture land south of the village. No other evidence has been found however. Great Saxham Hall is a large country house built between 1789 and 1798.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.