Small rural community located close to one of the sources of the river Blyth. Was formerly the seat of both the Sones and Kemp families. Recorded in Domesday as "Upbestuna" and on John Speed's 1610 map as "Vppeſton".
Little now remains of the large post mill which stood at Ubbeston Green from 1825 until its demolition in 1924.
The village sign was designed by Angus Searling, an artist who used to live in the village. There's a boat on it because the River Blythe used to be navigable as far as here.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists George Read as a beer retailer.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists William Denny as a beer house keeper.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists David Simpson as a beer retailer.
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists David Simpson as a beer house keeper.
The 1900 Kelly's Directory also lists Mrs Harriett Simpson as a beer retailer.
The 1912 Kelly's Directory also lists Leonard Whiteman as a beer retailer.
The 1916 Kelly's Directory also lists George Cady (Beer retailer, pub not named).
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.