In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
Some of them may well still be offering a takeaway beer service and some others will also be selling food takeaways, perhaps even with delivery. If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Closed between 1958 and 1979.
grid reference TL 691 736
On an old postcard the pub is referred to as "not halfs" house.
The pub appears on the 1958 OS maps but not 1979, so presumably closed some time between.
Charles PHILLIPS of the Bell, Worlington, made an application for a one hour extension on 21 Jan 1885, in the occasion of the navvies' supper.Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald, January 13th 1885**
The pub is shown (along with the Chequers, now the Golden Boar) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)