formerly Le Swan, Quylters
Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.
The pub has now reopened. Current opening hours:
Mon ~ Thurs 11am - 9pm
Fri & Sat ~ 11am - 10pm
Sun ~ 12 - 8pm
Real Ale is sold here.
4 High St, CO10 8NY
grid reference TL 769 452
owner/operator: Hawthorn Leisure
Historic inn with an old carved sign (possibly dating from 1415) which may be the oldest in England. Bar to right with inglenook fireplace is now a restaurant. Bar is to the left with beamed ceiling. Mix of seating: bar stools, wooden tables & chairs, comfy armchairs and a choir pew in the fireplace. Achieved Cask Marque status June 2017.
The carved pub sign is depicted on the town sign. The building itself may date back as far as 1361 when it was known as Quilters.
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
This building was probably built around 1600, an earlier will of 1498 said John Norfolk bequeathed to his son 'a house (sometimes misread as 'alehouse') now called Le Swan but of old called Quylters'. The house goes back still further for there is a reference to Quylters (described as 'a tenement') in a Court Roll of 1361. Another record goes back even earlier, showing one owner died 'tempore pestilence,' (i.e. from the Black Death) in 1349.
The public rooms are of around the year 1600, and the interior has exposed framing, beams and joists - an impressive array easily seen by stepping inside, where many other interesting artefacts from earlier centuries will be found.…
Thanks to Carl Benson of the Suffolk Latch Company for the historical photos.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(historical detail found in Clare Book II streets)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)