closed September 2012
Brook St, CO10 7PL
grid reference TL 829 487
A heavily beamed pub dating in part from 1510. Exposed stud work was visible in the former dividing wall between the bar and games areas.
It reopened on Friday 23rd September 2011 as a Free House after being closed for over 2 years, but closed again 12 months later. In March 2013, planning permission for conversion to a B&B was applied for.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1924 (interactive map)
Frederick Boreham of Glemsford was charged with assaulting Mary Ann, wife of Mr J.C.MOORE of the Crown Inn, Glemsford. Case involved a missing glass & was dismissed.Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald, 27 August 27th 1874***
Mr Game of the Crown Inn, Glemsford, finding he has insufficient room to carry on his business is having a new wing added, it will consist of new bedrooms, lavatories etc and will make this popular hotel the best in the district. The work is to be carried out by Pettit and Deadman of Glemsford.Haverhill Echo, November 11th 1899**
Formerly listed as a hotel & commercial house (in 1912)
Shown in a historical picture (see gallery) as brewing home brewed beers.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old picture from http://www.foxearth.org.uk
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.