Closed: about 1955
grid reference TL 713 829
The Chequers closed roughly between 1950 and 1955 (at the latest). It's since been demolished.
The village website has a photograph here.
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)