Closed: 1771 (based on newspaper reports)
This was one of the town's most ancient inns; one of only 24 to appear on an assessment of 1689. It stood on the quay in St Mary at the Quay parish.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, January 24th 1730***, to the Angel Inn on the Common Key, Ipswich.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, March 3rd 1733***, to the late Mr George Culliford, deceased, at the Angel in Ipswich.
To be Lett at Lady Day next, a very large Tavern and Inn, now in the occupation of Mrs Mary Culliford, Widow, on the Common Key in Ipswich commonly call'd or known by the name of the Angel.Ipswich Journal, March 10th 1733***
To be lett at Midsummer, 1740, the Angel on the Common Key, Ipswich, the most advantageous and convenient House for Trade and the best and cheapest Tavern and Inn, of the Rent, in the County…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)