Ingham Cadogan Arms
Ingham Cadogan Arms
formerly Cadogan Arms, Culford Arms, Griffin
Large flint and stone faced building that contains various rooms. The pub was renovated in 2007 and decorated to a very high standard. In 2011, the pub was awarded an AA Rosette for its outstanding food (see Publican Magazine).
Beers are from Brewshed brewery, which now owns the pub.
The beautifully-carved tree (see the gallery) in front of the pub is the result of work commissioned by the pub in 2017.
A brewery was once located on this site.
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available: free.
Railway station about 3.9 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The Culford Arms is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
An Inn called the Griffin was built in 1843 by Rev. Benyon on land at the junction of the Ingham, Culford and Ampton roads. The name derived from the crest of the Benyon family. The Cotterill family were landlords there until 1873. By 1879 the name had changed to the Culford Arms and the landlord was William Smith. In February 1936 the Culford Arms became the Cadogan Arms.Bury Past & Present
Earl Cadogan is a title that has been created twice in the Peerage of Great Britain. The Cadogan family descends from Major William Cadogan, a cavalry officer in Oliver Cromwell's army. Henry Cadogan (1868-1908) Viscount Chelsea, was heir apparent to the earldom and was MP for Bury St Edmunds (1892-1900) but died seven years before his father.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)