Real Ale is understood not to be sold here.
2 Mill Road, IP27 9DT
grid reference TL 715 826
opened 19th century
Although now mainly running as "Wok n Rock" restaurant, there is still a bar and remnants of the spacious flint faced 19th century pub.
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
It may also be reported historically as being in the High Street or "near Plough Lane" (probably now called Mill Lane).
Reopened October 2013 after two years of closure.
Paul Bangs tells us that a Thomas Bangs, his great-great-grandfather (and son of a landlord of the Harp) was the landlord of The Plough when he died young in 1835. An Enclosure document from 1833 shows that he was the landlord then (documents are in the Suffolk Record Office). One (as yet unconfirmed) report suggests that he cut his own throat and a recent landlady has suggested that the building is still haunted.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)