A dry parish since the Royal Oak closed in approximately 2008. This tiny hamlet borders the Blackbourne. It was recorded in Domesday as "Torp" or "Torpa". It's sometimes called "Thorpe by Ixworth".
The church has a thatched roof, a Tudor brick south porch and medieval bench ends.
Gravel extraction in the south of the parish during the Second World War unearthed a large number of Roman artefacts. A Samian bowl with human remains was sent to the British Museum (who lost it). An Anglo-Saxon grave was also unearthed.
The 1844 White's Directory lists Charles Crosby as a beer seller.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory ists Horace Simper as a beer retailer (also listed as a shopkeeper). The Royal Oak
The 1900 Kelly's Directory lists Robert H. Byford as a beer retailer (also listed as a shopkeeper). The Royal Oak?
The 1912 Kelly's Directory lists George William Fuller as a beer retailer. The Royal Oak?
The 1922 Kelly's Directory lists George William Fuller as a beer retailer. The Royal Oak?
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.