Kentford is a settlement on the border with Cambridgeshire, appearing on John Speed's 1610 map as "Kenforde". The A14 now by-passes it to the north, though the main road through the village is still very busy, with large numbers of HGVs using it. The ancient Icknield Way still runs through the parish. Local prehistoric finds include a Palaeolithic hand axe and two round barrows. Lilly Langtry lived in the village for a number of years. The Bell lies at the west end, over the border with Kennett in Cambridgeshire.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, 1 innkeeper was recorded in the parish between 1650 and 1699.