Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Kentford Fox & Ball
Kentford Fox & Ball
also traded as Fox & Bull, Bull, Black Bull
Closed between 1922 and 1958?
grid reference TL 707 667
The Fox & Ball is shown on the 1903 OS map but seems to have gone by the 1958 sheet, so probably closed between 1937 (the last directory entry found) and 1958.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Stephen Scott at the Black Bull, Kentford, has now taken out a Wine-Licence.Ipswich Journal, June 29th 1754***
To be sold, the Bull Inn, Kentford, being a good accustom'd Road-house, with the Outhouses and Land lett therewith to Wm. Plummer, at the Yearly Rent of Nine Pounds.Ipswich Journal, February 21st 1767***
The sale of Goods of Wm. Plummer at the Sign of the Bull in Kentford, near Newmarket (Unclear if he was the landlord but the goods included brewing utensils and exceeding good beer casks).Ipswich Journal, October 31st 1767***
Auction of All the Freehold Messuage or Public House, with suitable offices & stables (largely rebuilt) called the Black Bull, in Kentford, with 1 acre, more or less - being now in the occupation of Mr James BREWSTER, tenant-at-will…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.