The village is set in the midst of a conservation area and has several 17th century cottages. Sir Stephen Soame (1544-1619), Lord Mayor of London, was a resident of the parish. He left many legacies including almshouses for the poor and an endowed school. King Charles II is reputed to have played bowls at the hall. Also see Great Thurlow.
Recorded in Domesday (along with Great Thurlow) as "Tridlauua", "Tritlawa" or "Thrillauura". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Thurlow pua".
A large smock mill stood a short distance north of the Cock. It was built in 1865 but stopped working before WWI. The remains of the mill comprise part of the current-day Mill House.
The 1841 census also shows John Seargant as an agricultural labourer at Beer Shop, Over Green. (Head/76/born Suffolk)
The 1844 White's Suffolk Trades Directory lists John Sargeant as a beer house keeper.
In 1865 John Webb is listed as a beer retailer.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.