Marlesford

app

Introduction

The village lies just to the west of the A12, whilst the former pub and railway station can be seen alongside the main road. The Duke of Westminster once spent some time in a railway carriage here whilst on a tour of East Anglia. Marlesford was recorded in Domesday as "Merlesforda".

Mill lane marks the location of a post mill, the wreckage of which was removed in about 1930.

Marlesford Station was on the Framlingham branch line. It opened in June 1859 and closed in 1952. The building can still be seen from the A12.

Gallery

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

History

In 1865 Kelly's Directory John Smith is listed as a beer retailer. [John Smith is listed as an agricultural labourer in the 1861 and 1871 censuses.

In 1869 Kelly's Directory James Crane is listed as a beer retailer.

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.

X