North West, 52.16931,1.40363
opened 17th or 18th century
Main Rd (A12), IP13 0AY
grid reference TM 328 577
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. (interactive map)
A former three roomed roadside pub that is now residential.
The building dates from the late 17th or early 18th century.
In 2010 the last landlord, Paul Green, was convicted of murdering his wife with a WW2 bayonet in the former pub.
To be sold by auction, unless previously disposed of by private contract, that well known free public house called the Bell Inn, situated in Marlesford, with 8 acres (little more or less) of arable and pasture land now in the occupation of Mr John Cone, proprietor, who will give possession thereof at lady Day next.Ipswich Journal, March 1820**
To be sold by auction with immediate possession that long established well accustomed free public house , the Bell Inn, Marlesford, together with about 10 acres of rich meadow and arable land. The premises comprise a kitchen, 2 bars, 2 parlours, 4 chambers detached, new brick backhouse and dairy, barn, stable, neat-house, granary, and other outbuildings, garden and orchard. The house stands on the turnpike road from London to Yarmouth…