Real Ale is sold here.
The Street, IP13 0HP
grid reference TM 298 549
This historic and cosy two roomed pub has been sensitively refurbished throughout and also re-roofed by the current owners.
Food is available from Wednesday to Sunday.
There are outside seating areas including a small garden.
The pub also retains its outside toilets which have been refurbished to a high standard.
The building dates from the 16th century.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- CamROT (Campaign for Real Outside Toilets) approved
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
Railway station about 2.9 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
The Jay family have been mentioned in parish registers since 1584. When William Jay, cousin of John Levett (pub owner) was buried in 1744 the then vicar, Richard Temple wrote:
William Jay was buried being the last of his name in the parish, an end of a very worthless malicious, ill-natured family, having for ages been remarkable for oppressing (and as much as in them lay) for defrauding the Ministers of this Parish of their just dues, which character this person kept up to the last day of his life".
(extract taken from Manorial book) …
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(information from various records supplied by current owners Paul & Margaret Whayman)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)