Mettingham

app
close

Important Covid information

If all goes according to plan, the first tranche of pubs (those that are able to serve drinkers outdoors) may be able to reopen on April 12th. Though of course, in a situation like this, nothing is guaranteed. The rest of our pubs may be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Introduction

Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.

The main settlement lies along the B1062, in the flood plain of the river Waveney. Outside of the village a castle was founded in 1326, by John de Norwich, a captain of Edward III during the French wars. Only the gatehouse and fragments of the wall survive. Mettingham was recorded in Domesday as "Metingaham".

Gallery

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

History

The 1874 White's Directory lists John Baily as a beerhouse keeper (& wheelwright).

The 1922 Kelly's Directory lists Barclay, Perkins & Co Ltd as Maltsters, London ales & stouts at Wainford Maltings & Ditchingham (Norfolk) & Bungay (Robert C Mann manager).

X